20240214 Hakuba, My Day Trip to Hokujo

20240214 We woke to another sunny day although we are surrounded by snow and so far we haven’t actually seen it snow. After breaky we all piled into the car and head 8 min down the road to the Ski School and Slopes. Once the boys were settled in with their trainer, I left to check out another part of Hakuba. Japan drives on the same side of the road as Australia and the speed limits all seem to be no more than 60km with the occasional 70k's making it an easy drive around all parts of town and probably due to the cold wet roads making it quite slippery.

Another day on the slopes while Grandma goes exploring our suroundings, have fun guys.

My first stop was this Monument I had been eyeing off when dropping the family at the Ski Slopes, this is when I wish I could speak Japanese so I could understand what the monument meant.

I googled some sites to visit and found the Hakuba Snow Peak facility which opened in 2020 and apparently is a popular attraction. The building was designed by the world famous, Kengo Kuma, one of the most successful architects working in Japan today, he is particularly well-known for his use of wood which he incorporated into multiple buildings.

The building mirrors the flow of the Japanese Alps and features floor to ceiling windows opening up to Hakuba's majestic mountains and visitors can enjoy camping as well as glamping. 

My next stop was a ride on a Gondola so I head to Happo-One Snow Resort just a few kilometres down the road. The resort is well known for its consistent and super dry powder snow conditions and is the highest elevated lift at 1,831m. 

Up I go in the Gondola and I must say these things look awfully old and a tad rusty on the top but I made it back down safe and sound.

From the top you can see Hakuba three peaks in the background, whilst in the foreground you can see Myoko, Togakushi, Asama volcano and Yatsugatake mountain ranges.

Boundary rules as I enter the top.

Around the town at the bottom of the gondola I found large drains like this through out the towns.

I drove to Hokujo, Hakuba, Kitaazumi District and strolled the town taking in the sites.

You can find Food Trucks like this scatted around the streets and near the resorts.

Buddha Statue In Japan with raincoat, that much I have established but I have no idea of its meaning.

Free Foot bath in Hokujo, Hakuba, Kitaazumi District.

I did however found out why all the shrubs are wrapped up like this, it's to protect trees' long branches from bending and breaking under the weight of snow.

This tree looks dead to me but I am guessing it will bounce back in spring.

Antique Japanese Stone Carving Of Jizo Guardian God

I spotted this strawberries, custard and cream sandwich at the 7 Eleven, different but not for me.

Another familiar site around Hakuba, I think it could be a Japanese graveyard in a public tomb.

Now to head home to see what the sick kids been up to and I bet his eyes are still fixed to his iPad but at least the house is nice and warm thanks to our fire place.
























The End

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield