20220622 Qld Stonehenge

20220622 Well so much for a nanny nap, I forgot about all the cattle grids we have to go over, sometimes it feels like the van is going to snap in half. We are definitely in yabby country now so while Des putts along and pulls off the road when oncoming traffic gets closer, I keep an eye out for a camp spot with a creek. The problem out here is, we need to be aware of soft dirt and if it rains, we are in deep shit, but thankfully there's no rain about. We passed a few creeks that looks like they could be crawling with yabbies only theirs no were to pull off, then I spotted a great camp were the ground is solid and right next to a creek, that's us for the night or three depending on the yabbies.

The pots are in, now to collect some wood and sit back and wait, what better time for a coldie.
🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

We didn't have to go far to collect wood which is a nice change so while Des gets our beer I set the fire alight then we settle in for the night, just Des and I in outback Queensland, it wood be so easy to dispose of someone out here, just saying.😏

Des had me in stiches when he demonstrates a Paul Hogan show about an old lady who's cat was stuck up a tree,  so he picks up a stick and throws it at the cat (only in this case he throws it in the air) the cat falls to the ground, their's your cat. I think it was Des laughing that made me laugh, ya had to be there.😅

Where else would you want to be and it just gets better.

There we were thinking we're on our own when a farmer putting by called in, are we in trouble I said, no you're fine, I got a bit worried when I noticed a shot gun hanging up behind him. He hung around for a chat and told us he owned all this land around us and had just completed fixing many flood damaged fence, we also found out his wife is the Deputy Mayor in Longreach, it's always great to meet the locals.

20220623 We slept well after many drinks last night while gazing at the Micky Way above and OMG the stars out here just cover the sky and are just so get bright. 

Des pulls his pots but unfortunately the yabby aren’t on, bugger, I could easily stay here for a few days but we pack up and leave.

The sign sure need replacing but it's not far now before we come to the crossroad.

My first thought was, what the hell does that even mean and where the hell is it, then thanks to good old google it all came flooding back.

This is it, Stonehendge Address Book, it doesn't look much from the road but there's more.

Stonehendge Address Book, this is what it means, travellers drive to this point where they engrave their name in rocks on the land.  Not me, I couldn't be stuffed, and I'm dam sure Des won't but it looks impresive never the less.

This is what they call the South West and the turn off to Stonehenge is just ahead, what an awesome view.

We camped up then off came the bikes, it's going to be much easier riding the bikes the one kilometre down to the river rather than walking back and forth like Des did last time, and he did that about three times a day, and just for dirty old yabbies, what a nutter. 

20220624 With Des out of my hair I packed up my computor to sit in the sun at the informatioin centre just across the road to do my blogg and maybe sneak in a ice cream.

I was happerly blogging away when this 1933 Ford drive into town, exited I grabbed my camera and was gone with Des not far behind, you must get heaps of comments driving this beast around I said, yes I get a few.

The guy was kind enought to lift the bonnet for us to check it out, I just can't imagin driving an old relic like this all the way out here.

Last time here he killed it but with the river much lower the yabbies have gone into hiding.

Desies partner in crime, only this guy was killing the yabbie traid, he found a great spot and returned every day to show Des his catch, are you pintching them out of my pot.😏

OMG, I forgot just how beautifull the sunset is out here.


20220626 My idea was to watch the State of Origin in a country pub and what better place than the Stonehenge Hotel with the locals. Des shouted dinner then we sat back and watched the game with a couple who decided to escape the camp ground after four vans parked near them with a bunch of kids, the funny thing about it was, they camped beside them at the last camp ground, I do sympathise with them.

The pub is now owned and Managed by Grant Champion & Thomas Auriac a couple of outback larrikins who are more than happy to raise a beer to welcome any new comers.

It was sure a disappointing game but we had many laughs while listening to the locals give each other shit while yelling out abuse at the referee and some of the players, well I'm thinking they sure deserved it.

20220627 There may not be much to see in Stonehenge but I must say it is one of my favourite outback towns, I'm always sad when it time to leave. It's been a nice stay chatting to travellers who camp up for the night, light a fire, have a few drinks and just enjoy their surroundings  and the beautiful sunset that brightens up the sky every night.

Jacko is his name and he called "Jacko's Trim Shop", he travels from town to town repairing damaged upholstery on your mower, car, tractor seats or anything that you need. He's a happy chappy who lives his life on the road working from his truck and he sure gets some jobs to keep him out of trouble, not to mention the people he meets along the way.
CHEERY JACKO

I'd like to see anyone do this in Brisbane, yep, that's me sitting in the middle of the 4 ways in Stonehendge at 9:15 in the morning, and not any traffic in site. Come on Sharyn it's time to pack up and take the boys to live in the outback, just saying.

And this is why I love it out here, Ya don't get a sunset like this in the city, just beautiful.

BUY FROM STONEHENGE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield