20220601 NSW Garah

20220601 Our drive from Moree took us through a small town about 50ks along the Carnarvon Highway to Garah. The town’s main attraction is the Hotel but as I walk the the street I came across an old church, still standing and some run down buildings with the old outside Dunnie and a tank stand barely standing and it’s only use is for some great photos.
Every year around June Garah host’s the Talmoi Picnic Races, one of the oldest and longest running picnic races still held in Australia, having first been held in 1911.

St David's Presbyterian Church in Garah

One of the old deserted buildings that line the Main Street.

I wondered out the back of this old building and found this old water tanks still standing, but I’m thinking, not for much longer.

I’m not sure what the story is here I’m thinking it may have burnt down and they built around the old chimney, but I guess I will never know.
 
One of the old time favourites, who remember’s using one of theses, I  remember  when I was around 16, running to try and bet Shirley into the Par’s outside dunnie and when I closed the door I was confronted with a huge huntsman on the back of the door, well you can imagine my reaction.😲😳
The past still stands in this old town, for now anyway.

I’m thinking maybe an old butcher shop but who really knows.

A water tank from times gone by but it could still be in use.

It was once a thriving garage but not anymore.

This I know is still working, only because under that blue tarp lays a hole load of wheat.

The Club Hotel in Garah, stop in for a meal but they aren’t really cheep.

I had a nice stroll around the town taking my photo’s while Des stood on the corner of the street chatting to some travellers, as he does.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield