20200908 Qld Wandoan

20200908 We were last here in 2014 were we camped behind the silo's in the town center and it sure hasn't changed in six years but I guess that's to be expected in these small towns. Ludwig Leichhardt first explored Wandoan in 1844 and the fist pastoral station was Juandah in 1853, the name 'Juandah' passed on to the town, but because of its similarity to Jundah (a town in the Barcoo Shire), it was changed to Wandoan in 1926.

                           

Happy 21st Birthday to my first born grandson you have gone from this cute little boy to an exceptional young man.💚💙

We camped at the original historical site of the Juandah Head Station established in the late 1840’s, and the heart of a settlement which later became known as Wandoan. At full running capacity, Juandah Station employed up to 80 stockmen to run up to 50,000 head of cattle.

The old butcher shop still stands and is in relatively good condition.

The old Butchers chopping block is still a part of the furniture but its use by date has certainly expired.
Now I'm testing you, because of the hooks inside and its in the butchers hut I'm thinking it was were the meat was hung but I could be wrong.

Now that's what I call a bloody old vintage bath tub probably around the 40s, I so want  it.

This original bullock wagon was brought by the heritage society and returned to the Juandah Station, in its day it would travel to Ipswich for supplies but the team could only travel eight miles a day so they came and went at six months intervals.

They sure had their work cut out for them in those days, I can just see a bullock team or old tractor pulling this old plough while turning up the land.

Now check out this, I can only assume is a planter or ripper but never the less it would be interesting to see how it worked.

The original Trainsmen's Quarters, when Juandah/Wandoan became the end of the line in 1914 the quarters were built as over night accommodation for the train crew.

The original kitchen displays railway memorabilia so you wont see no fridge in here.
The Black Smith shop was a common necessity in the early 1800s, check out the bellow and its still in working order, so cool.

I don't know about you but I do remember having one of these that we would fill with fly spray to kill the many bugs invading the house, remember there were no such thing as fly screens in my day, well not in our home anyway.

The Juandah Historical Site also hosts a Folk Museum of local heritage items and social history so of cause I had to check it out.

The spinning wheel was used to transform various plant and animal fibers into thread or yarn which are woven into cloth on a loom. 
There are different theories of the origin of the spinning wheel but it was traced back to ancient Egypt, however, other historical documentation suggests that it debuted in India between 500 and 1000 A.D.
This item is what they used in hospitals to weigh new born babies.
It was in 1901 injured stockman, Sid McCorry scratched a message for help into his matchbox, threaded it into his belt, strapped it to Mick's neck & sent him home for help, thus saving his life.


I so wanted to take just one little pup, how stunning is this, I'm thinking its in the family of Aloe Vera.
I've never seen a yellow Aloe Vera before and once again I so wanted to pinch a pup, now every were we go I'm looking for them.

SEE YA SOON

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield