20200905 Qld Taroom

20200905 Taroom's a quiet town servicing the surrounding rural properties, the name Taroom is probably a corruption of a Yeeman, Aboriginal word 'tarum' meaning 'pomegranite' or 'native lime' a thorny tree with orange blossom odour and small fruits that can be used for jam or drinks.  Originally the settlement was known as Bonners Knob but in 1856, when a post office was built, the official name became Taroom.

Steel Wings Windmill on edge of the town stands this rare windmill, manufactured some time between 1895 and 1910. The windmill, which supplied water from Kinnoul Creek to the homestead and garden, stood at 'Kinnoul' prior to the station's purchase in 1912, it remained in service until the late 1950s when its timber foundations were destroyed by fire causing it to collapse. Taroom and Jerilderie have the only two known working examples.

Taroom's Town Center, a town with a colored past and some interesting history story.

I love that these town's try and hold on to the historic buildings.

Taroom's claim to fame is when the Prussian explorer, Ludwig Leichhardt, passed through the district where he marked a tree LL 44 into the bark of a coolabah tree. The initials long since gone but that tree still stands tall and is now the standout feature in the middle of the main street.
I found Ken's Camp on Wiki about 5ks out of town, tucked away in the bush and not far off the road.

Our camp for the next few days.

This is Ken and his dog Cleo, who was once owned by some piger's which is how she lost her leg, but the sad story is after the accident the owners decided to use her for breading and the puppies starved her of nourishment so Ken's wife, who lived next door, decided to feed her and her health began to recover, Cleo adopted Ken and his wife and has been with them ever since living a healthy and for filling life, she now trust people and loves to meet all the campers and she's such a beautiful dog.

06-09-2020 It time to go exploring as I grab my camera and take the track through the bush only to uncover old relics and interesting photos.

She may be banged up but her new home makes for a great photo.

Sandy Creek Bridge on the Juandah Creek

An interesting subject with the flood level out of place, well I thought so anyway.


I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, I work all day, I cut down trees, I eat my lunch, I go to the lavatory, 

On Wednesday I go shopping, and have butter and scones for tea. 
Um, maybe I might leave that rest of that song out, for obvious reasons I don't thinks Des would be impressed.😂

Hanging in the tree for all to use, a frying pan a camp toaster and a steel brush to clean the BBQ.
Ken cuts and supplies the campers with wood which is placed in piles throughout the camp.

07-09-2020 It's our last night here and I'm happy to say we are the only ones left so we make the most of it and turn up the sounds while sitting around our fire and cook mince jaffels for dinner followed by many drinks.

These camp fires are scatted around the grounds for your convenience.

08-09-2020 We pack up and head back to Taroom for a shower and wash our sheets and cloths and while we wait I make Des buy me breakfast at the local cafe.

The old store began existing around the 1930s at least, that's when this was taken.

But now these distance relatives have bought and renovated it back to make it old again and bring back the atmosphere and the character of the actual building and I must say they make a mean omelette.

ON TO WANDOAN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield