20141010 Qld Nanango, Karen & Brian's Homestead

20141010 They have free showers in Nanango picking the key up from the information center I collected some leaflets on the town and were told of the many Chainsaw Sculptures and Murals spread throughout the town but first a shower.  All refreshed we walked the town in search of the local's art, displayed throughout the town depicting the history of the town which seemed to have more activity than the last time we were here.

Lynch Sisters Nell & Kate

Held their own Timber Chainsaw in a male dominated industry. Working together cutting down giant trees & clearing scrub for farmers.  The Lynch girls were highly respected expecting & receiving no favours due to their sex.  In 1908 they became well known because of their expertise with the axe and crosscut saw, they worked in the Bunya Mts dressed in long black dresses.



RHS: Seven Mile Peter 
He thirsted for gold, He dug and dug until he was old.
He didn't find much and he never found fame, yet the Seven Mile Diggers still bear Peters name.  

LHS: Resting Settler
The settler rest when his day is done, his life is quite at the setting sun & he knows full well, the battle's won. 
This Mural depicts mining in the area, from panning for gold to drag lines
able to move tons of coal.
Just out of Nanango theirs a free camp so we went there to camp the night and make some much needed lunch. Karen an old girl friend of mine use to live in Nanango I wonder if she still does so on the off chance I called, I wasn't sure at first but it was Karen and she didn't my voice, who is this she said Leonie silly and as usual I put my foot in my big mouth but we won't go there. We drove to Karens and parked the fan up and caught up on over a cup of tea, I know that doesn't sound like me.



As long as I have known Karen and Brian there home has always been filled with lovely nick knacks and treasured memories but this home is even more uneak with its lovely cottage garden.


The gardens is full of many different varieties of plants that ooze color and it just takes your breath away.
 It doesn't stop there, beside the shed is a small entertainment area that shows the creative side of these couple.
Collections from the dump and some sticks followed with a bit of creativity has a most wonderful and appealing effect.










These item that are scatted around the home were made from old pallets by yours truly, yes Karen she should have been an interior and exterior designer not a hair dresser, she just has the ability to turn scrap into the most unusual pieces.



Check out this garden ornament, now how simple would that be to make yet it is very effective.











After a big fest of seafood we chatted and laughed the night through telling many tails of our travels, kids and reminisced over past experiences.  Karen tried to kill me, well! it was really my doing, I was suffering a bit of re-flux and had a bit to much bicarb, but it all ended well.

11-10-2104  We woke to a lovely sunny day with a wonderful view over looking the country side.


The view from Karen and Brian's Cottage veranda.
Karen and Brian were woken by the phone, did I wake you the caller said, well! yes you did, that girl hasn't changed she is always straight to the point but little did she realise it was nearly 9am.  Never again Karen said, it was after two when we went to bed, no wonder Des slept in.  Karen and Brian both polished off a bottle of spirits each and I'm bugged if I know what I drank, no wonder there hung over, well all I can say was we must have had a good night.  Karen cooked breakie looking very refreshed "NOT" and all the while saying never again, we never do that, then Brian threw in, I think the last time we stayed up that late was when you were last here over two years ago, I get the felling he's dropping hints never to return, Na! he loves me.


Brian brews his own spirits and he was showing us how it's all produced which to my amazement is quite simple.  Brian and Des scooted into town for some essence to make my moonshine (vodka) to stock up my empty cupboard, thanks Brian. 















 Karen and Brian's much loved pets Matty and Sofie and for some reason Matty took a liking to me but I must admit she was very cute, much better than cat's Karen.


I'm sneaking some photos while Brian and Des chat away with Karen listening in, as if she could get a word in anyway.
Karen and I relaxing under the shad of a tree surrounded by there cottage garden with a great view, I could easily live here.
Ok Brian your turn for a photo, Nop! I don't do photos, get over there I said, gee he did as he was told, arr that's right, silly me he has been living with Karen for over 30 years.
"Brian, Karen and Duke"









Were all packed up and ready to hit the road if only we could shut the pair of have a chats up for five minutes we might have a chance to leave, see what I mean Karen he never shuts up, yep Brian's the same.



My last photo as we wave goodbye to my dear friends, thanks for a great night.
"WE WILL BE BACK"
HA! HA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield