20130104 NSW Cowra Dam - Orange

20120101 We hit the road again heading north to Cowra to check out the Darbys Falls River Reserve, beside the Lachlan River. Driving into Boorowa for a few supplies when we saw the sign to Cowra, not realizing that was not our intended root, we missed the reserve, Ar well you get that. After the reserve we were going onto the Cowra Dam anyway, so it just means we get there sooner rather than later.  As it turned out it wasn't a bad spot overlooking the mountains, Wind Farm and the Dam with its many speed boats and water skiers, I'm so jealous.  As my foot is working once again, I decided it was time to start walking, I grab my iPod, hit the road and check out the dam wall in my travels.  Returning back after an hour now it's time to relax take a dip, a catch up with my book.  I placed my chair in the water, took in some vitamin D and read while Des tried his hand at catching some yabbies.  On his way back with his yabby pot (no yabbies) he stopped for a chat with one of the happy campers, Collin & Cath so we grabbed a beer and joined them for a chat.

Sunrise on Cowra Dam, well about 8.30am just a little lie.

20130103 Orange next, home of Mt Canobolas an ancient volcanic peak, and were just beyond Orange one of Australia's first gold mines and the limestone caves of Borenore Karst.  The hills a scatted with many wineries along the way but one town in particular I noticed was Millthorpe are just another town, so we kept on driving into Orange.  At the information center and you wouldn't believe it, but Millthorp is one of those untouched country towns set amongst rolling hills with many fine heritage buildings, arr well! there's no going back.


Sitting at the foot of an extinct volcano, Orange is surrounded by over 40 wineries and produces everything from stone fruit to olives. We were walking the town when I noticed a camera store, I soo need to have my camera cleaned I sick of repairing marks on my photos, $70 but could take 2 hours, which meant a run back to the van for my other camera, I couldn’t possible walk around without a camera.  Leaving the info centre with our map we began our heritage walk of the town taking in the many heritage sites.
The Monument to Banjo Paterson who wrote the well known 'Waltzing Matilda' was born in Orange but only lived there for a short time as an infant.
As you are all sick of old buildings I managed to get Des to take a photo of me to brighten up your day.
We had lunch at one of the local pubs $12 for steak, chips & salad which was a 100% on the RSL lunch in Gundagai.  After lunch we picked up my camera which was the best $70 spent, no more dots on my photos, then we left for Macquari Woods in Victoria State Forest in between Orange and Bathurst to camp for a few days, depending on what it's like.  The sign to the forrest was right on the corner of the turn off so we had to turn around, once again.  Now to find a place to camp, there a many large trees which Des won't camp under and were sick of camping in the sun so it's trying to find a spot where we can have the best of both, shade with no trees over the van, we found our spot at the top of the hill and with shade.  Des was told there are heaps of yabbies in the dam so he sets up his pot and we wonder to the dam, I don't like his chances.


Once we were set up I sat outside and blogging but man the flies were sooo bad I couldn't stand it, then I remembered I brought a couple of nets which covers your face and keeps the flies from annoying the shitter out of you, so I blogged in peace.

04-01-2013  We were up earlier than usual so I went for a well needed walk through the forest ya gotta love the smell of pine trees.  Not known where the road leads to or how long the circut was and after about 45 min turned around and headed back.  Cooking scrambled eggs for breakie before packing up and heading for Bathurst but first we had to stop to pick up the yabbie pots which had one baby yabbie, I won't say I told you so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield