20120425 Qld Leyburn and Nobby

20120425 Stopped at Warwick where Des's Mum (Phyllis) come from, Phil told me many stories of the dances at the local hall, I'm sure she would have been a hard one to catch.

A fly by shoot of this great old church.

The Palace Hotel, it's for sale if anyone's interested.


The Town Centre we didn't stop just drove through.





Leyburn, we stopped at Shane Webcke's pub, well that who Des recons owns it, only the sign above says "Jonweb" so were a bit confused.  Sitting down having our drink when the funniest thing happened, one of the locals asked me if I would like to have a game of
Two-Up, no thanks I said, the local:what about your father, well! I nearly spat my drink out, I had tears running down my eyes, Des wasn't real impressed and left, but he couldn't help but laugh. This is the third time this has happened to him, he's now trying to think of a comeback for the next smart ass.


20120426 It has turned bloody cold the weather dropped to 5 degrees' overnight, so we stayed in bed till late then walked to town, these towns a are so tiny it doesn't take long to walk around. We noticed signs up everywhere for the big race day coming up on the 18th & 19th of August, Des asked one of the locals if he knew where he could get one of the signs from, the guy stopped his mower and drove up the road and got us two signs, then we left for Nobby.

There were thousands of these Carolles in the park we stayed in, it looked likes snow on the ground, I snuck up for a photo.



An old Historical Butcher Shop

The local General Store

Verns sculpture is of the Delahaye type 135 sports car which won the 1949 Leybourn Grand Prix and was driven by John Crouch.





 I though this a very different Church.
Sorghum which use to be called Milo, I managed to get Des to stop so I could pinch some to show the kids.









Parked up opposite the Nobby's Pub and went to pay for the site $2 a night and that's with power.  There's only a General Store a Art Gallery and the Pub so it didn't take long to walk this town. 

Folk say that Steele Rudd sat while writing hid famous Australian “Dad and Dave” stories and learn the history of the iconic Sister Elizabeth Kenny who pioneered the treatment of infantile paralysis.  The pub has a wonderful photographic collection and lots of interesting memorabilia, but the meals are very expensive and it didn't have the atmosphere of some of the other pubs we stopped at, The Rabbit Trap being one.


27-04-2012  We woke to a rainy day so slept in again, it's so cosy in the van and we have the best bed.  I put a rain coat on and went for a walk which I haven't been doing and the weight has gone on, so once home I'm on a body cleanse, at least for the  the first few day.  Returning from my walk I picked up my camera and went on a photo shoot. 

 The local Art Gallery

The General Store










28-04-2012  This is the end of a wonderful trip, we stay a John Mac's tomorrow and home Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20150809 WA Moora, New Norcia, Bindoon

20190825 Qld Charleville Rock Pool

20210421 NSW Standing Stones to Tenterfield