20260724 Qld Tambo to Augathella

20260724 Another one of those friendly towns on our path towards home, Tambo where we once broke down and had to sit in the garage driveway for a week waiting for parts to arrive but this time I’m here to have my hair dyed. Once I arrived we realised I’m missing a product and couldn’t use my own dyes but the hair dresser sorted it out and I left minus the grey strip. We parked down a side street near the park where we cooked dinner before going to the Chicken Race at the Royal Carrangarra Hotel. The idea is too raise as much money as possible for different charities by betting on a chicken and the highest bidder wins that chicken, once all the chicken have been sold the race begins and the first chicken across the line is the winner and the owner wins the kitty. The last time here we had lots of fun but this time it dragged out and the drinks were very expensive, so after the race we left.

Some people were betting $300 and up, let the race begin. 

The Johnson Brothers Transport, a pioneering family livestock and freight company from Tambo, in 1967, Key milestones include innovating double-deck livestock trailers in the region, operating for over 40 years, and contributing an original 1944 freight truck to Tambo's famous "Wild and Woolly" sculptural truck monument.

The new addition to the Tambo collection dedicated to the Transport Industry

The Tambo Transport Museum celebrates the rich history of outback trucking and the families behind it. From horse-drawn carriers of the 1860s to the modern fleets of today, it tells the story of not only the men who kept the outback moving, but the women who supported them every step of the way. Life on the road was difficult for both men and women, while the men were away, the women raised children, managed the homes and business and took on whatever work they could, with little support. Social events such as picture shows, dances and town gatherings were treasured occasions, drawing families from miles around.

The new displays tell's the history of tracking horse-drawn carriers from the 1860s through motorised 1920s trucks and modern fleets.

20260725 We moved to the bush camp down the back of the town for a couple of days where to Desies surprise I found enough wood for a fire. We walked to town to fill in some time, got an ice cream and wandered back while in between collecting 

Look what wondered into our camp and picked up a Banana skin I threw on the ground and began to pig out.

Stopping at Foodworks and I asked Des if he wanted a trolly, ya smart bitch.😅😂

20260727 Augathella next to camp beside the dry river and the home of Smiley, the 1956 film based on the childhood adventures of local resident Didy “Smiley” Creevey. Since our last visit in 2022, there have been some welcome improvements, including a café and several interesting historical displays.

For generations, the Frazer family has kept Augathella fed, Garry Frazer, born in 1939, recalls a time of horseback cattle drives, hand-made sausages, charcoal cool rooms and customers lining up from 4am on Fridays. Today, the family tradition continues with his sons, Col and Trevor, proving that the shop’s greatest strength has always been family.

We walked to the Ellangowan Hotel for a beer when I snuck this photo of Desi, I know I’m a bitch.

I thought I would treat myself at the Catfish Cafe & Collections for coffee and muffin.

I saw this in the Cafe toy shop, it’s a Miniland newborn baby boy doll designed to promote values of equality, diversity, and social skills among children, it’s the lipstick that got me😂

After my coffee I wondered to the cinema where they actually play the old movie of “Smiley” wow that brought back some memories and what a giggle watching a show I use to watch as a kid, now thats how kids should still be, no bloody devises.

Boys catching yabbies in the 1950’s with a piece of string tied to a stick and a piece of meat on the end.

Colin Petersen, on the right, played a mischievous boy from the Australian outback.
John McCallum, in the center, portrayed the character Jim Rankin in the film.
Bruce Archer, on the left, played the role of Joey in the movie

This one intrigued when smiley gets the cane.

THE END

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20250914 Qld Dalby, Bell, Kaimkillenbun to Bowenville Reserve

20260720 Qld Blackall

20250827 Qld Gunalda, Urangan, Rivers Head, Cradnish to Burrum Heads